Electromagnetic Machine Designer
Recherche, conception et développement
Employees / Staff
An Electromagnetic Machine Designer is required to support new power generation programmes for the future more electric aircraft. Propose original concept solutions and support the design & validation of high performance electrical machines for Aerospace applications.
The Electromagnetic Machine Designer is a key role in the design of future electrical machines and a central member of project teams. Strong communication across all business levels is a requirement for this role.
- • Undertake electromagnetic design and performance evaluation of new products from initial concept through completion of qualification testing and into service.
- • Perform thermal analysis of electromagnetic components.
- • Liaise closely with other project team members such as conversion, mechanical design, stress, manufacturing, sourcing and configuration, to ensure system requirements and performance is delivered.
- • Assist in the development of new technology initiatives, in particular new concepts of advanced electrical machine systems aimed at new “more electric” applications.
- • Participate in investigations and undertake analysis where necessary to resolve system performance issues.
- • Maintain, develop and optimise specialist design tools and methodologies to support electrical machine design. Introduce new techniques and software solutions, as appropriate.
- • Provide technical expertise and assistance to Project Teams, Verification and Validation, Manufacturing, Customer Support and other functional departments within Engineering.
- • Support Business Development with generator based bids. Represent the Company at supplier, partner and customer locations, both in the UK and overseas.
- • Degree or equivalent qualification in an appropriate Engineering discipline and proven track record on the design and analysis of Rotating Electrical Machine design & simulation, preferably in a generator manufacturing environment.
- • Analytical skills suited to the solution of complex technical problems
- • Must be self-sufficient and largely self-motivated, but capable of working within a team structure
- • Good communication skills, oral and written. Must be able to effectively communicate, formally and informally with peer group, other team members, senior management, suppliers and customers.
- • Must have an understanding of specific engineering materials and production methods relevant to electrical machines
- • A sound understanding of the design and Validation & Verification (V&V) process
- • Ability to work within agreed timescales and budgets and follow tasks through to completion
- • Advanced knowledge of common PC software package such as Microsoft Office
- • Desirable to have a good working knowledge of Fortran, thermal, electromagnetic FEA & system simulation tools eg. ANSYS Maxwell, SPEED & MotorCAD.
- • Evidence of written English at interview stage. This will be through providing certification of a formal English or technical qualification studied in the UK or overseas in English. If this cannot be provided you will be required to complete and pass an online SHL English comprehension test as part of the interview process.
- • Work Package Owner for the Electomagnetic Machine Design in a project team/s
- • The Electromagnetic Machine Design Engineer will need to liaise with Operations to ensure that production is uninterrupted
- • The Electromagnetic Machine Design Engineer will need to liaise with key suppliers / customers as appropriate to ensure robust product specification & selection
- • No specific budgetary responsibility
- • There are no direct reports to this role
Specificity of the job
Safran is an international high-technology group, operating in the aircraft propulsion and equipment, space and defense markets. Safran has a global presence, with more than 92,000 employees and sales of 21 billion euros in 2018. Working alone or in partnership, Safran holds world or European leadership positions in its core markets. Safran undertakes Research & Development programs to meet fast-changing market requirements, with total R&D expenditures of around 1.5 billion euros in 2018.
Safran is ranked among the Top 100 Global Innovators by Thomson Reuters and is featured on the "Happy at work" rankings. The Group places fourth on the Universum ranking for the favorite companies of newly-qualified engineers in France.
Safran Electrical & Power is one of the world's leaders in aircraft electrical systems. The company is a key player in the equipment electrification of electric and hybrid propulsion sector. It has 12,400 employees across 12 different countries.
Senior Specialist Engineer - Mechanical DesignPublished on 06/05/2019Pitstone Bucks , United Kingdom Regular Full time Mechanics
Site CoE ManagerPublished on 06/05/2019Pitstone Bucks , United Kingdom Regular Full time Mechanics
Principle Stress EngineerPublished on 06/03/2019Pitstone Bucks , United Kingdom Regular Full time Mechanics